Wapiti Regional Library Bylaws
Title: SAFE USE AND CONDUCT
The Wapiti Regional Library Board hereby enacts the following bylaw pursuant to Sections 68(2), 69(5), 71 of The Public Libraries Act, 1996 of the Province of Saskatchewan.
6.1 Purpose and Objective: The library’s purpose and objective in enacting this bylaw is to maintain a safe environment for all staff and patrons of the library, and to protect and preserve property under its control.
6.2 Definitions: In this bylaw
a) 'Act' means The Public Libraries Act, 1996 of the Province of Saskatchewan.
b) 'Board' means the Wapiti Regional Library Board.
c) 'Director' means the Regional Director of the Wapiti Regional Library or any person designated by the Regional Director to administer this bylaw.
d) 'Library' means the Wapiti Regional Library, including any building/branch from which the Wapiti Regional Library operates a library service.
e) 'Person in charge' means the person in charge of a library at any given time.
6.3 Conduct of Patrons: Patrons shall not exhibit rude or disorderly behaviour while on library premises by making undue noise, physical disruption, being intoxicated, being verbally abusive, engaging in sexual misconduct or harassment, stalking, voyeurism, or otherwise interfering with another's use and enjoyment of the library. Such conduct may be subject to proceedings pursuant to the Criminal Code where applicable.
1. It is an offence pursuant to The Public Libraries Act, 1996 and the Criminal Code to steal, vandalize, mutilate, or destroy library property including but not limited to, books, magazines, materials or equipment. Such an offence may be punishable by criminal conviction, fine, or both.
2. While on library premises no patron shall, without the previous authorization of the Branch Librarian and/or the Regional Director
a) Offer for sale or distribute any newspaper, magazine, pamphlet, leaflet, printed material or matter of any kind.
b) Beg or solicit for any purposes.
c) Post any letter, poster or notice.
3. Patron shall not
a) Enter unauthorized areas on library premises.
b) Enter library premises when banned.
4. Except for guide dogs and medically sanctioned animals, patrons shall not bring animals into the library. Patrons may be asked to provide medical authorization.
5. All patrons of the library shall comply with applicable public health codes and regulations.
6. The library reserves the right to require children on library premises be accompanied by an adult.
7. Except for library staff and persons authorized by the library, patrons shall promptly leave the library at closing times.
8. Requests to Leave
a) The Person in Charge of the library may direct any person acting in contravention of this bylaw to leave.
6.4 Consequences: If a person contravenes any provision of this bylaw
a) The person in charge may:
i) Suspend the patron's borrowing privileges for the remainder of the day.
ii) Prohibit the person from entering the library for the remainder of the day.
iii) Call the police for assistance. They may lay charges under the Criminal Code.
b) The Local Library Board with the support of the Regional Director may:
i) Suspend the patron's borrowing privileges.
ii) Prohibit the person from entering the library for a specified period of time.
iii) Initiate a prosecution under The Public Libraries Act, 1996
iv) Call the police for assistance. They may lay charges under the Criminal Code.
6.5 Enactment: This bylaw comes into force upon the day it is passed.
ENACTED by the Board the 30th day of April, 2016.